How do I remove an underground storage tank?

Removal or abandoning of underground storage tanks (UST) must be done by a licensed contractor and requires a mechanical trades permit from the Building Inspection department. Please contact the Community Development Customer Service Center at 556-5860 or visit the Building Inspection website at

Department of Environmental Quality oversees the abandonment or removal of
USTs. Please visit the DEQ website for more information

Show All Answers

1. What is an underground storage tank system (UST)?
2. What’s the history on UST’s?
3. How many UST’s do we have in Goochland?
4. Who manages the UST program and is the proper contact person for that program?
5. What is the testing frequency of UST’s?
6. Is there active management of the tank program?
7. What is the County’s responsibility in this program?
8. Is the County proactive in enforcement of UST program?
9. What is a big versus small tank?
10. How do I remove an underground storage tank?
11. How do I find more information about the UST program?
12. What if I think my well is contaiminated by UST?
13. How do I find information about my septic system?