Can I subdivide or divide my property?
Property is divided into smaller parcels through the subdivision process. The number and size of lots that a property owner can create depends on the zoning of the property. To subdivide a parcel, a citizen or developer must submit a subdivision application and a plat showing the new lots that will be created. Planning reviews the documentation to ensure the new lots meet applicable zoning and subdivision ordinance requirements.
Creating a new lot falls into one of these three processes. The Zoning Administrator will determine which process to follow based on:
• The number of lots proposed
• The need to extend public utilities (water and sewer) to the property
• The need to upgrade or construct roads to serve the development
• The need to construct public drainage improvements to serve the development
Please contact the Planning & Zoning Office to discuss the scope of the proposed division before submitting any applications.

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. What Zoning do I need?
3. Can I subdivide or divide my property?
4. What is a Minor subdivision?
5. What is a Family Division?
6. What is a Major Subdivision?
7. Can I make my property larger or smaller? Adjust or delete a property line?
8. What is an Overlay district and where are they located?
9. Can I have a business in my home?
10. Can I add an in-law suite or second dwelling to my property?
11. How do I find property ownership information?
12. How do I order a missing or damaged street sign?
13. Do I need Zoning approval for my business license?
14. I want to build a farm building or a structure less than 256 sq. feet. What permit do I need?
15. How do I place a zoning complaint?
16. Who do I contact for addressing?
17. Where do I go to find recorded surveys, deeds, or plats of property?