How do I develop my property?
Use the county’s mapping system to check a property’s zoning. You may also view what is allowed under certain zoning districts though the Zoning Ordinance. Also check to see if the proposed use is consistent with the Comprehensive Plan. Please call the Planning & Zoning office for an official determination of zoning.
A property owner may need to rezone their property or obtain a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) before developing it or using it for a specific use. These processes require public hearings and are subject to Board of Supervisors approval.
Should a rezoning or Conditional Use Permit be needed, one or more of the following application may be required. Contact Planning and Zoning before beginning the rezoning or Conditional Use application process.
• Pre-Application
• Rezoning application
• Conditional Use Permit application


The county zoning ordinance requires that all non-residential development or redevelopment have an approved site plan/Plan of Development filed with the Environmental and Land Development Office. This is done to protect property owners and citizens and to ensure basic standards for health and safety. Site plan regulations apply to all commercial, industrial, multi-family, churches, and institutional uses.
Before submitting a site plan for review, check the zoning of the property to determine if the proposed use is permitted. Please contact the Planning & Zoning office to obtain an official determination of zoning. Developers are encouraged to contact the Environmental and Land Development Office prior to the submission of a site plan application.
All site plans are reviewed by the community development review team which consists of Environmental, Planning, Public Utilities, Building Inspector's Office, Fire Marshal, and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). A licensed professional such as a civil engineer, surveyor, or landscape architect is typically required to prepare site plans, which may include architectural elevations and a site lighting plan.
If locating a business in an existing structure, check with Zoning to be sure that the business is suitable for the site. There may be parking, lighting, screening, or land use issues that need to be addressed.
Contact the Building Inspector's Office to determine if any building permits will be required.

Design Overlay Districts
Please note that the County has design overlay districts along our major corridors (River Road West, River Road, Broad Street Road, and Ashland Road) and in certain villages (Centerville, Goochland Courthouse, and Oilville). These entrance corridors and village center overlay districts are created to conserve elements of the county's scenic beauty and to preserve and protect corridors and areas. A Certificate of Approval permit is required for any exterior improvements, including signs, or new construction. The Planning & Zoning department reviews and issues COA applications.

Residential or Agricultural Lot Divisions
To divide a parcel(s) to create new residential lots the development plan must be reviewed through the residential subdivision review process.
In some instances, if a property is not zoned for residential uses it must first be rezoned before proceeding through the subdivision or site plan process.
Subdividing land requires approval from the Planning department.
Creating a new lot falls into one of these three processes. The Zoning Administrator will determine which process to follow based on:
• The number of lots proposed
• The need to extend public utilities (water and sewer) to the property
• The need to upgrade or construct roads to serve the development
• The need to construct public drainage improvements to serve the development
Please contact the Planning & Zoning Office to discuss the scope of the proposed division before submitting any applications.

Minor Subdivision
A minor subdivision is the division of a parent tract into less than five (5) lots and family subdivisions which results in one (1) division per family member. Also, the first two (2) divisions of land into parcels which are twenty (20) acres or more and all parcels in excess of forty (40) acres will not count toward a major subdivision, but will be counted for road construction requirements as spelled out in Article 5, Section 6 of the Subdivision Ordinance.
For more information, please see the Minor Subdivision Brochure

Family Divisions
A subdivision in which one (1) division of the parent tract is made available to any person who is a natural or legally defined offspring, spouse or parent of the owner. Family divisions have different review criteria and a separate review process from other residential subdivisions. The family exception may not be used to circumvent the Subdivision Ordinance.
For more information, please see the Minor Subdivision Brochure

Major Subdivision
The division of land into five (5) or more lots. Major subdivisions require both tentative plat and final plat approvals.
Please see the Major Subdivision Brochure for more information.

Planning & Zoning Applications

Show All Answers

1. How do I develop my property?
2. Can I divide my property?
3. Do I need a permit?
4. Who can apply for a permit?
5. Does my building permit expire?
6. What edition of the building code is the County of Goochland enforcing?
7. What is the basic design criteria for the County of Goochland?
8. How much is my building permit fee?
9. How do I schedule an inspection?
10. How do I request a time for my inspection?
11. I want to install a sign. Do I need a permit?
12. What are the procedures for property numbering and street naming?