The County Attorney is the general counsel for the County government. The main duty of the office is to provide legal counsel and advice in all civil matters to the Board of Supervisors, the County Administrator and various other boards, commissions, agencies, departments, and employees of Goochland County.
On a day-to-day basis, the County Attorney's duties include:
- Providing legal advice to the Board of Supervisors, County Administrator and other County employees
- Defending lawsuits against the County and employees
- Initiating lawsuits to enforce County ordinances and resolutions
- Prosecution of certain County ordinance violations
- Drafting ordinances, contracts, deeds and other documents
- Analyzing cases, statutes, regulations, and proposals which may affect the County’s interests
The County Attorney’s Office does not provide legal advice or opinions to citizens, and cannot represent citizens in personal or private legal matters.
Citizens requiring legal assistance may want to contact the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service at www.vsb.org/vlrs
or call (804) 775-0808 (metro Richmond). Statewide and Nationwide Toll-Free Number (800) 552-7977.