On October 13th the Goochland County School Board unanimously approved a reopening plan for students that starts with welcoming elementary students back to school on October 19th. The community is reminded to be mindful of buses and students on the road.
Goochland County Public Schools (GCPS) reopening plan, which is available at this link, welcomes kindergarten through fifth grade students back to school on October 19th five days a week as well as a return for sixth grade and ninth grade students on November 2. Other middle school and high school students will return on November 9.
Goochland County reminds the community to be mindful of buses on the road, students standing at bus stops, and new student drivers on the roads between October 19th through November 9th. There will be a lot more traffic on our roads and around GCPS’s campuses compared to what we have experienced since last spring. Please allow extra time if you are on the road.
Below are some recommendations for a safe transition to a virtual and in-person school year.
• Allow for extra time traveling and be patient as bus drivers pick up and drop off students.
• Obey the speed limits and be aware of the reduced limits in the school zones.
• Do not pass school buses when flashing lights are activated and/or crossing arm is deployed.
• Watch for students walking on, standing near, and crossing roadways.
• Avoid electronic distractions (cell phone, radio, etc.)
For Students and Parents:
• When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic and avoid roughhousing or other behavior that can lead to carelessness. Do not play or stray in the roadway.
• Line up away from the street, or road, as the school bus approaches.
• Wait until the bus has stopped and the door opens before stepping onto the roadway.
• Use the hand rail when stepping onto the bus.
• If you have to cross the street in front of the bus, walk at least ten feet ahead of the bus along the side of the road, until you can turn around and see the driver.
• Make sure that the driver can see you.
• Wait for a signal from the driver before beginning to cross.
• When the driver signals, walk across the road, keeping an eye out for sudden traffic changes.
• Do not cross the center line of the road until the driver has signaled that it is safe for you to begin walking.
• Stay away from rear wheels of the bus at all times.