The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) advises individuals to limit travel if possible during the ongoing inclement weather. Below are tips from VDOT for driving in snowy and icy conditions.
Tips for driving in snowy and icy conditions
- The safest place during a winter storm is indoors. Plan travel around, not during, the storm.
- Driving is most dangerous when the temperature is at or under 32 degrees (freezing). A good rule to follow is if the temperature outside is at or below freezing and the road is wet, there will likely be ice, particularly on the shaded areas, bridges, ramps and overpasses, since they tend to freeze first.
- Even when roads have been treated, drivers should reduce their speed and leave a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles and trucks that are plowing the road.
- If you begin to skid, do not brake. Take your foot off the gas and steer the vehicle in the direction you want to go.
- Give snowplows plenty of room (at least 100 feet) and don't pass them.
- If drivers stay off the roads during a storm, transportation workers and public safety officials are better able to plow roadways and respond to emergency needs quicker.
- If you must drive, give snow plows plenty of room (at least 100 feet) and don't pass them.
- Avoid parking along the street in your neighborhood. Snow plows are wide, and plow drivers may not be able to access and plow the road if parked cars are blocking the path.
Before traveling, you can get the latest traffic conditions by using 511 Virginia. Call 511 from any phone in Virginia, visit www.511virginia.org or download the free mobile app at http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/511.asp#app.
Twitter: For area information, follow @VaDOTRVA and @511centralva
Facebook: Visit VDOT’s statewide page and follow the Richmond District group: https://www.facebook.com/VirginiaDOT
Customer service center
Report road hazards or ask road-related questions at VDOT’s 24-hour Customer Service Center by calling 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) or using the online form available at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov/