Over the last 72 hours Goochland County Fire Rescue responded to four incidents involving generators during the winter weather.
Over the last 72 hours Goochland County Fire Rescue responded to four incidents involving generators during the winter weather. The incidents included 1 generator fire and 3 homes with dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide gas from generator exhaust seeping inside.
While power has been restored to the majority of Goochland County, we cannot stress enough the importance of practicing the following generator safety tips now, and in the future, to keep your house and family safe.
- NEVER use a portable generator in your home or garage.
- Point the exhaust AWAY from doors, windows, and vents.
- The generator should be at least 20 FEET away from windows.
- Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling.
- Make sure to install Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms in your home.
- Carbon Monoxide from portable generators can KILL Quickly, before you know what’s happening.
Carbon monoxide or “CO” is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.