Important snowstorm recovery update and resource information from Goochland County as of Wednesday, January 5th.
Goochland County is providing multiple resources for county residents as they continue to recover from Monday’s snowstorm.
Multiple locations have been established for county residents to get warm and charge electronic devices.
Goochland YMCA – Open Jan. 5th Until 5:30 PM for Shower & Power Needs (1800 Dickinson Rd, Goochland, VA 23063)
The Goochland YMCA is open to the public Wednesday, Jan. 5th until 5:30 p.m. for anyone who needs a shower or to charge electronic devices. The Goochland YMCA is in the Courthouse Village at 1800 Dickinson Rd., Goochland, VA 23063.
- Non-YMCA members are asked to check in at the front desk.
- Guests will be required to show their ID and sign a guest waiver.
- Everyone is encouraged to wear a face covering while in their facility.
- Residents will need to bring their own towels, toiletries, and chargers with them.
Byrd Elementary School – Open 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM as a Warming Shelter (2704 Hadensville-Fife Rd, Goochland, VA 23063)
Byrd Elementary School, 2704 Hadensville-Fife Rd, Goochland, VA 23063 will be open as a Warming Shelter on Wednesday, Jan. 5th from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for those county residents without power.
- Access the warming shelter through the front entrance to the gymnasium.
- Guests are encouraged to bring their own cell phone chargers, snacks, and medication.
- Due to COVID-19, masks and other social distancing measures will be required while in the warming shelter.
Goochland Sports Complex – Open until 5:00 PM for Power Needs (1800 Sandy Hook Rd, Goochland, VA 23063)
The Goochland Sports Complex at 1800 Sandy Hook Rd, Goochland, VA 23063 will be open for anyone who needs to charge electronic devices or come get warm.
- Residents will need to bring their own cell phone or other chargers.
- Everyone is encouraged to wear a face covering while in the facility.
Water Availability for Animals – Jan. 5th at 2PM
Goochland County Animal Protection will provide citizens an opportunity on Wednesday, Jan. 5th at 2 p.m. to get water for their animals. They will be at Goochland Fire Rescue Station 5 – Courthouse located at 2710 Fairground Road, Goochland, VA 23063. Citizens will need to bring their own containers to fill with water for their animals.
Emergencies & Urgent Needs
This morning Goochland County activated Goochland’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) as Goochland County Fire-Rescue and the Goochland County Sheriff’s Office continue to respond to incidents from the storm. Please remember that calls to 911 should be reserved for emergencies only.
Residents with urgent needs resulting from the storm should call 804-657-2057, the county will work to address the needs as quickly and safely as possible.
Power Outage Restoration
Our utility company partners are working as quickly and safely as possible to restore power. They continue to make progress towards restoration with crews working out in the field, as of 10:30 a.m. 39% of the county is still without power. It is essential that you report down power lines and outages to your provider, do not assume it has already been reported.
Below are ways to report power outages:
Residents are encouraged to practice generator safety as you wait for restoration by power providers. Please remember to:
- NEVER use a portable generator in your home or garage.
- Point the exhaust AWAY from doors, windows, and vents.
- The generator should be at least 20 FEET away from windows.
- Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we recover from Monday’s winter snowstorm.