An extended period of hot and humid weather is expected Thursday through Saturday this week with heat indices of 100-110 degrees each day. Goochland County is providing these safety tips and resources to help residents beat the heat.
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid outside work in the heat of the day
- Stay cool in an air-conditioned area
- Wear lightweight, light colored, loose-fitting clothing to reflect heat and sunlight
- Check on elderly neighbors and loved ones
- Slow down and reduce strenuous activities
- Never leave children or pets in hot vehicles, always Look Before You Lock
Over exposure to heat could lead to heat illness especially for people at risk including the elderly and kids. It is crucial to recognize the warning signs of heat illness.
- Heat Cramps: Heavy sweating and painful, involuntary muscle spasms. Move to a cool area until symptoms resolve; consider ceasing outdoor activity for a period of time.
- Heat Exhaustion: Heavy sweating; pale, cool clammy skin; muscle cramps; fatigue; weakness; dizziness; headache; nausea or vomiting and fainting. Seek a cool area right away; cease outdoor activity for the day.
- Heat Stroke: A high body temperature (103 degrees or higher); warm and dry skin; fast pulse; headache; dizziness; nausea; confusion and unconsciousness. This is a medical emergency. Take measures to rapidly cool the person while dialing 911.
For more information, visit the Virginia Department of Health website at: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/news/extreme-heat-and-heat-related-illnesses/.
If you need to escape the extreme heat over the next few days, Goochland community members can take advantage of the following cooling resources below.
In addition, citizens with heat-related concerns that do not involve 9-1-1 emergencies, can contact Goochland County’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) number, 804-556-5678 for assistance. Citizens experiencing emergencies should contact 9-1-1.
|Goochland Branch Library|
3075 River Road West
Goochland, Va 23063
|Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.|
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
1800 Dickinson Road
Goochland, VA 23063
*Residents must be members in order to use the equipment or pool.
|Monday - Thursday 5:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.|
Friday 5:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
|Goochland Sports Complex|
1800 Sandy Hook Road
Goochland, VA 23063
|Monday - Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.|
Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Sunday 2:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.