Concealed Handgun Permits
Concealed Handgun Permits cost $15.00. This can be paid by check, money order, cash, or credit card (a 4% convenience fee will be added to all credit card transactions). Please make checks or money orders out to Clerk of the Court.
As of January 1, 2021, Virginia Law requires gun competency classes to be conducted in-person, however, there may be some exceptions. We will accept whatever is provided to show gun competency and present it to the judge for final approval. If your application is denied, your application fee will not be refunded.
A concealed carry permit application can be obtained from the Clerk’s office or by clicking below:
Additional information pertaining to the statutes governing concealed handgun permits is also located on State Police Website:
ONLY RESIDENTS OF GOOCHLAND COUNTY MAY OBTAIN CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS FROM THE GOOCHLAND CIRCUIT COURT. (Residents that are in the military with a permanent address in Goochland County may obtain a permit here with proper identification.)
In order to obtain a first-time Concealed Handgun Permit from the Goochland Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, you must:
- Apply in person with your Driver’s License or other government issued ID such as a Passport or Military ID and submit such ID to be photocopied and attached to your application.
- Submit proof of competency or proficiency with a firearm. Such as:
- A certificate from a hunter’s safety in-person course or concealed carry in-person class
- A certificate or other document showing firearms training
- An affidavit (see below for printable form) completed in the Clerk’s office acknowledging firearms training.
- $15.00 renewal fee
- A self-addressed stamped envelope for mailing permit to you.
A renewal permit application must have with it the following:
1. The full application(include all 4 pages)
2. A copy of your old permit
3. Copy of your Driver’s License or other government issued ID
4. $15.00 fee
5. A self-addressed stamped envelope for mailing permit to you.
The renewal permits can be mailed to the Goochland Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, 2938 River Road West, P.O. Box 196, Goochland, Virginia 23063 or brought into the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office.
Lost Concealed Handgun Permit
For a replacement of a lost Concealed Handgun Permit, you must complete the Request for Duplicate Permit form (see below for printable form) and submit it with the $5 fee.
Address or name change on a Concealed Handgun Permit
The permit is valid until its expiration date, even if you move out of the county or move to another address. By law it is not required that you obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit with your new address until your current permit expires. However, you may change your address by using the Change of Address Notification form (see below for printable form) at any time with a $10 fee.
If you were recently married and changed your name, you are not required to obtain another Concealed Handgun Permit with your new name until the expiration of your current permit. However, you may change your name by completing the Request for Duplicate Permit form (see below for printable form) at any time with a $10 fee. You will need to provide a copy of your driver’s license, marriage license and/or certified copy of court order, etc. with your new legal name.